April 25, 2005
HDGEC Vacancy Announcement -- IHDP
International Human Dimensions Programme On Global Environmental Change
Executive Director of the International Human Dimensions Programme
The International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC) invite applications for the position of Executive Director of the International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change (IHDP). The IHDP is an international, interdisciplinary and non-governmental science organisation, focussing on social and human dimensions of environmental change.
The IHDP is dedicated to promoting, catalysing and coordinating research, capacity-building, and networking on the human dimensions of global environmental change. The IHDP, from a social science perspective, examines areas of concern for societies on global change and works at the interface between science and practice. For detailed information on the programme please visit the webpage www.ihdp.org
The Executive Director, in co-operation with the Scientific Committee and the Chairperson, facilitates the expeditious development, implementation and evaluation of the IHDP Programme. In particular, the Executive Director will:
* facilitate the development, implementation and co-ordination of IHDP Science Projects and Joint Projects with the partner programmes;
* provide overall management of the IHDP Secretariat (about 10 persons).
* promote the establishment and/or strengthening of national and regional human dimensions committees and research programmes;
* ensure effective representation and links between IHDP and other relevant research programmes, especially IGBP, WCRP, DIVERSITAS, the ESSP, the sponsoring organisations (ICSU and ISSC), relevant entities of the United Nations system, as well as the international policy community and funding agencies;
* support the development and implementation of an information strategy which promotes networking within the human dimensions research community and wider practice community;
The successful candidate will have an international research reputation in a relevant social science discipline and
* have experience and knowledge about the socio-economic, cultural, behavioural and institutional dimensions of the global environmental change research effort;
* have excellent skills in staff development, office
management and financial management skills;
* be aware of germane research in the natural sciences,
engineering and applied sciences;
* have experience of international scientific collaboration including, if possible, experience with both governmental and non-governmental organisations;
* be prepared to conduct extensive worldwide travel;
* excellent command of written and spoken English; knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
The Executive Director, will be appointed by ICSU and ISSC for an interim period of 12 months, potentially renewable, thereafter. The successful candidate will be employed in Bonn, Germany, where the IHDP Secretariat is located. An appointment under the terms of a secondment would also be possible. The position will be filled by 15 September 2005 or as soon as possible thereafter. The salary is negotiable and will take due account of the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Letters of application with a curriculum vitae and the names of three
referees should be received no later than 15 June 2005 by the IHDP Secretariat, Walter-Flex-Str. 3, 53113 Bonn, Fax +49 228 73 9054, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews for the post will be scheduled in July 2005. Further information on the IHDP and its Secretariat Dr.Barbara Goebel: Tel: +49-228-73-9051, Fax: +49-228-73-9054; e~mail:email@example.com; www.ihdp.org
Posted by ldilling at April 25, 2005 03:06 PM